Getting Started with SFTP Data Automation
Here at EverTrue, we offer the ability to automate data transfers. We highly encourage your organization to pursue this option if available to you. Fundraisers rely on up-to-date, accurate data. More frequent data updates mean more dollars for your team.
Setting up SFTP
We suggest using SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) if your database supports scheduled exports, or if your institution's IT team will be scripting the CSV file and can create a job to run the file on a schedule (be sure to contact your database vendor about options you might not be aware of). SFTP allows you to send data files to EverTrue on a recurring basis and works with Windows, Mac, or Linux. We recommend you send us compressed files (.gzip or .zip) for a safer file processing experience.
To set up SFTP with EverTrue, take the following steps:
- Complete manual imports and field mapping of your data files in Console to ensure everything is configured correctly prior to automating transfers. If you need guidance on what fields to include, check out our field reference guide. Should you find any issues with your import, feel free to contact email@example.com or review our error guide.
- Set up a scheduled export of those same CSV data files. To fully automate the transfer process, the export from your CRM must also be automated.
- Contact your Implementation Specialist to request SFTP credentials if you are still in the implementation process. If you've finished implementation, request these credentials from EverTrue's Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note this request can take up to 48 hours to process.
- Use an SFTP client or other method to connect to your EverTrue uploads folder via SFTP and deliver your first (constituent) file. Make sure to use the correct file naming conventions for SFTP. Once done, you can deliver any subsequent files such as interaction, proposals, etc.
- If you need to test your credentials or simply send a one-time file, we recommend using an SFTP client such as WiSCP or Cyberduck.
- Log in to Console and confirm the mappings after your first file transfers have been picked up (typically within a few minutes of delivery). Your mappings should be set from your first manual import, but double-check to make sure you're happy with how things transferred.
- The first imports may not automatically process if EverTrue has yet to enable auto-ingestion. We will need to configure this in our backend to accept your files before the entire process is automated. If this is the case for you, confirm the mappings and click Import to manually process the first delivered files. You can then email your Implementation Specialist or email@example.com to let them know you are ready to begin auto-processing files.
- Once auto-ingestion is enabled, subsequent files will automatically import if the file format is recognized (based on the mapping ID). If we receive a file that is unrecognized, we will pause the import process to allow you time to resolve the mapping. EverTrue Support will follow-up with an alert letting you know we have re-enabled auto-ingestion.
- To finalize a full automation of data, you may wish to enable auto-deletions. Please notify EverTrue Support or your Implementation Specialist with written consent to enable this feature.
If setting up SFTP with EverTrue, please be mindful of some additional insights:
- Imports sent via SFTP will still send out a notification when complete. Notification settings can be found within Console's Notifications page. These imports will also be listed in Console under Past Imports.
- A manual import is required before imports sent via SFTP can process. This is a one-time requirement in order to correctly map your fields. If you've followed the steps listed above, imports should run automatically after the one-time manual import.
- If the file headers for your import change to a set we do not recognize (in either order, names, or number), you will need to re-map and manually process your file. Changes to your file format will turn off automatic importing to protect your data from unintended changes. You will need to contact Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org to turn automatic importing back on.
- Use EverTrue's file naming conventions to properly name each file so that the platform correctly processes your data. For example, an interaction file must have .interactions.csv at the end of the file name for EverTrue to process it as an interaction file.
- If you have a public key you would like to use, please notify your Implementation Manager at the beginning of the SFTP configuration process. If you are not in implementation, please email our Support Team at email@example.com.
For any other questions reach out to the Genius Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 yr agoLast active