Getting Started with SFTP Data Automation
Here at EverTrue, we offer the ability to automate the data transfer. We highly encourage your organization to pursue this option, if available to you. Fundraisers rely on up-to-date, accurate data, so more frequent data updates mean more dollars for your team.
If your database or CRM supports scheduled exports that are sent to a folder on a computer you can access on a regular basis, we recommend using this feature. Be sure to contact your database vendor about options you might not be aware of! SFTP allows you to send data files to EverTrue on a recurring basis and works with Windows, Mac, or Linux.
Your team can set up SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) using the instructions below.
- First complete a manual import and mapping in Console to assure everything is configured correctly prior to automated transfers. If you find any issues with your import, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or reference our issue reference guide.
- Set up an export from your CRM containing all the data you wish to import into EverTrue. For guidance on what fields to include, check out our field reference guide. NOTE: To fully automate the transfer process, the export from your CRM must also be automated.
- Request SFTP Credentials from EverTrue's Customer Support at email@example.com. This request can take up to 72 hours to process.
- For your first file transfer (after the transfer is complete), log into Console and confirm the mappings (this is just a double-check on the previous mapping you set in step 1), then click through to process the import.
- After the the first transferred file has been processed and ingested/imported, contact firstname.lastname@example.org again to let us know that you are ready to turn on automatic importing. Note, your file will not be able to automatically process unless EverTrue configures our backend to accept your files.
- Send subsequent files via SFTP, and EverTrue will automatically import them!
- Encountered a hiccup? No worries - check out our troubleshooting guide here!
NOTE: If you need to test your credentials or simply send a one-time file, we recommend using an SFTP client such as WinSCP or Cyberduck.
- Imports sent via SFTP will still send out a notification when complete. Notification settings can be found in Console --> Notifications. Those imports will also be listed in Console under Past Imports.
- A manual import is required before imports sent via SFTP can process. This is a one-time requirement in order to correctly map your fields. Imports should run automatically after that if you've followed the steps listed above.
- If the file headers for your import change to a set we do not recognize (in either order, names, or number), then you will need to re-map and manually process your file. Changes to your file format will turn off automatic importing to protect your data from unintended changes. You will need to contact Customer Support at email@example.com to turn automatic importing back on.
- SFTP files are imported and processed on the hour. E.g. If your import is sent at 9:03AM, it will kick off at 10:00AM.